UBC Chemistry Centre Renew
Henriquez Partners Architects, with lab consultant AHSC McLennan Copenhagen, provided architectural and lab planning services for the renovation of two of the University of British Columbia’s main chemistry teaching and research buildings: D and E Block, which were built in 1925 and 1959 respectively.
The impact of demolition was significantly reduced by retaining as much of the building as practically possible. Existing laboratory and learning spaces were reconfigured to create state-of-the-art, open concept chemistry labs; lecture theatres; and student, faculty, and administrative spaces. Harnessing the building’s potential, existing systems were upgraded—not replaced—to maximize sustainability benefits, and the project achieved LEED Gold certification.
The building’s distinctive architectural features were also preserved. Intensifying the use of space, the design maintains flexibility for future reconfiguration. The building’s location, large operable windows, and relatively narrow floor plates allowed for the maximization of passive ventilation and daylighting to drastically reduce energy consumption.
Status: Completed in 2009
Size: 61,625 square feet